[lbo-talk] counting to 200 -- how about 500

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 11 18:15:25 PST 2007

Robert Wrubel wrote:

> (BW)I'll grant you, these are more psychological than
> moral dilemmas, though the first becomes moral if your
> friend is having an affair with another friend's wife.
> Do you distance yourself to show disapproval or get in
> the thick of it to try to help? The moral always come
> up when you take the convenient, more comfortable
> course. My point though is that an analysis of the
> social relations of the parties doesnt tell you what's
> the right thing to do.

Of course not. But how does talking about this specific case help to understand (a) the present balance of political forces in the United States and (b) the best organizing policies, given that balance, for a member of a local anti-war group to follow at this time?

If all you're saying is that to understand what a particular person whould do in a particular personal relationship, then why the hell are we having this argument. I am not so arrogant that I would even dream of giving advice on the basis of the sketchy information you have given, so why are you asking me or anyone else on this list. I do believe the ghost of Ann Landers is on the list to help you.

I tried to point out that we were talking about questions that were not mutually illuminating, and all I go from anyone were smartass wisecracks.

Carrol