[lbo-talk] BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ released today

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Tue Nov 13 21:45:54 PST 2007

I don't know if this is in any sense a representative response, but I've found Fassbinder's films to be a mixed bag. There are some of his films that I thought were spectacular, for instance, I love Ali: Fear Eats the Soul and Alex is spectacular, but the movies that tend to lose my interest are the ones that become overly invested in self-referentiality. For instance, I have a limited interest in the films that he makes about making films. I suppose they're supposed to be arch and ironic, etc., but they just seem to be kinda boring and narcissistic. On the other hand, I am fond of contempt, but that might just be because of Fritz Lang's role in the film. Some of the other films are almost too successful at replicating the stultifying banality of the Federal republic of the 50's. I'm actually really looking forwards to seeing Deutschland in Herbst soon.

I'd be curious to hear your take on the other directors that came out of New German Cinema though. Robert Wood