[lbo-talk] BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ released today

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 13 14:17:50 PST 2007

> But I don't like a lot of movies very much and I
love Fassbinder. That must say something.

You don't like GYPSY. LOL.

I should have been more clear.

Fassbinder (in my view) is not that far outside the mainstream of the arthouse movie. To declare him part of the tradition of Truffaut, Rohmer, Godard, Fellini, Bergman, Kurosawa etc. would not be to make a radical statement. THE MARRIAGE OF MARIA BRAUN ran for a year at the Cinema Studio in New York (sigh).

But for some reason RWF is seen (and this is where I agree with Dennis) as being an acquired taste within this cinematic subset.

But why? Subject matter? Bizarre/repugnant lifestyle?

Brian

PS: I fully acknowledege that my deep love of Fassbinder's work may blind me to its difficulty. I saw his films as a teenage queerboi who was in the throes of accepting and understanding his queerness as well as his cinephilia.