[lbo-talk] economic mobility study: the horse's mouth

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Nov 14 09:22:41 PST 2007

Wojtek trolls:

> So do you really think that the fact that kids dropping out
> of schools like flies has no effect on their earning prospect ...

A non-sequitur if I ever saw one.

> BTW, the idea of "acting black" that I just floated come not
> from my imagination but from schoolteachers ...

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was saying you were making something up. I think what you were saying was that the lack of mobility in blacks was because of the 'gangsta culture' which I think we can agree is 98% marketing-driven and overwhelmingly white and suburban. If you're talking about actual criminality[*] then it's not a cultural artifact you're looking at, but a much, much smaller one. The overwhelming majority of 'gangsta culture' participants will never go to jail or commit serious crimes.

> In any case, if you believe that this something that is "hard to see"
> (in your own words) as opposed to what most normal people see in plain
> view, I am pretty sure that no empirical argument, let also my humble
> conjectures, will sway your article of faith.

Let's be clear: what I said was "much harder to spot" was overt racism. Your claim was that racism had decreased; I think it hasn't decreased, it's just less overt, but it's alive and well and kicking.

So: you lost me. But, you've done it before on this very issue:

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2005/2005-March/004692.html

/jordan

[*] http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/11/13/BA8BTB1AU.DTL