[lbo-talk] black class gap

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Nov 15 10:41:56 PST 2007

On Nov 15, 2007, at 1:27 PM, John Thornton wrote:
> ravi wrote:
>> but just humorous: its a dig at Ehrenreich since I can't stand
>> Ehrenreich any more than Doug can Bono, but I do believe both of them
>> (Ehrenreich and Bono, and for that matter A. Roy) are on the right
>> side of the divide (and have all done more for humanity than I have,
>> thus far).
>
> Are you saying that if you were a multi-millionaire pop star who
> avoided
> paying income taxes his entire life and had legions of people who hung
> on his every word and action you feel you would not have accomplished
> appreciably more than Bono has in the same circumstances with
> regards to
> furthering humanitarian causes? Or are you saying that if Bono were an
> Indian computer programmer(?) he would have had a greater impact in
> the
> humanitarian field than you have?

If you see it that way, my answer would be 'no' i.e., I think I may do things differently if I were Bono and he may do as little as me if he were me. A variation of the above formulation is more germane to my theme: Bono as Bono, I believe, has done more than ravi as ravi has. But I don't see the equation that way, either. Rather, I look at overall attitude and the net effects: I believe that Bono and I share a goal of ridding the world of certain forms of suffering, opression, etc. I have had zero positive impact on the lives of the oppressed, unfortunate, suffering. From the stories I read, he has had some positive impact. Ergo.

> That seems a strange position to take but maybe I misunderstand.

What can I say! I am a strange guy!

--ravi