[lbo-talk] Reed on the Dems

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 15 10:41:09 PST 2007

Jordan Hayes wrote:
> Doug forwarded:
>

>>> <http://www.progressive.org/mag_reed1107>
>>>
>>> That's why the endless cycle of unofficial hearings and
>>> tribunals and rallies and demonstrations and Internet
>>> petitions never has any effect on anything. They're all
>>> directed to bearing witness before an officialdom that
>>> doesn't care and feels no compulsion to take our demands
>>> into account.
>>>

> I thought this was a pretty well-written article, except the word "care"
> jumped out at me. I would have used the word "agree" ... saying that
> they don't "care" really loads it up, doesn't it?
>
> Anyway, that's the thing that I always come back to: it's not that they
> don't care, it's that they don't agree. You can't often appeal
> successfully to someone who has made up their mind by providing them
> with information you don't think they've taken into account.
>
> /jordan

But more often than not they do agree and don't care. Find an example and play it through. They don't disagree about the number of people who don't have health care coverage. They don't truly disagree over the effects of that lack of coverage. They don't care. They only disagree in that they do not agree that 'we' should do something about it collectively but that is only because they don't care. Hiding their lack of compassion and caring as lack of agreement provides them cover. I completely agree that saying they don't care really loads it up. More of that is what is needed. The fate of people is not something to be looked at objectively.

John Thornton