[lbo-talk] black class gap

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Nov 15 11:42:05 PST 2007

On Nov 15, 2007, at 1:49 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> And I don't really get why Ehrenreich deserves this sort of contempt,
> but then I admire her as one of the best journalists in the USA. How
> is investigating the life of the working poor, fully aware that one
> is merely a tourist in their world, at all like being a tax evading
> egomaniac?

It's because you and I choose to see certain sides of them that irritate or endear us to them: you see Bono as a "tax-evading ego maniac" (I see him as working in his own manner to address/highlight/ alleviate the suffering of millions) and I see Ehrenreich as a scientist pomo basher (and you see her as a journalist). We do differ: I see Ehrenreich as equally well-minded as Bono or any other humanist (and me, FWIW), despite her silliness or style, whereas I suspect you have no such view of Bono.

--ravi