[lbo-talk] black class gap

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Thu Nov 15 18:06:54 PST 2007

At 01:49 PM 11/15/2007, Doug Henwood wrote:

>And I don't really get why Ehrenreich deserves this sort of contempt,
>but then I admire her as one of the best journalists in the USA. How
>is investigating the life of the working poor, fully aware that one
>is merely a tourist in their world, at all like being a tax evading
>egomaniac?
>
>Doug

No shit. I have my disagreements with her attitude toward "young feminists" but she's a national treasure and did an amazing piece of ethnography in Nickel and Dimed. She spoke directly to the issue -- that there was no way she could truly understand the experience of being poor, unskilled, etc. And she handled with humor and honesty her own frustration when she about wanted to strangle some of her co-workers for being scared tools on the job.

"You know how it is, come for the animal porn, stay for the cultural analysis." -- Michael Berube

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)