[lbo-talk] Paul Potts, the new Pavarotti

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 07:38:59 PST 2007

There's no doubt that guy's extremely talented. Shame his name sounds like "Pol Pot." And he works in a car phone warehouse (or something)!?

That just reminds of Stephen Jay Gould's famous statement: "I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops." (And there's a similar morality fable or somesuch, about a man entering heaven, asked to name the most talented artist in history; the man answers something like "Michelangelo" and -- St. Peter( ?) -- replies that it was actually this obscure fellow no one's heard of, supremely gifted, but never given an earthly opportunity employ his talents. -- Anyone know this tale I'm talking about?)

BUT-- who was doing the camera work on that clip you posted? Steven Spielberg, or Oprah? :)

-B.

Robert Wrubel wrote:

"Watch the expression on the faces of the judges change in the first video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA"