[lbo-talk] The flat tax and income inequality

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 15:47:00 PST 2007

I was thinking of the income tax but what you say

brings up the problem of progressive nature of the tax system as a whole. It is true that income from capital gains can be taxed at a much lower rate than say income from wages--or even not at all. Also incomes

from gifts and from estates might not be taxed at all which can make for even more inequality and regressiveness in the total tax system. I was thinking

of income tax from wages investments etc. rather than capital gains. In considering the progressive or regressive nature of a total tax system we would need to consider taxes not based upon income at all such as the sales tax.

In Canada we do have taxes that are certainly not progressive such as the sales tax. Its impact on lower income people is greater than on high income people since they pay the same rate.

The fact that some places with progressive taxes are more unequal than some that do not even if true which has not been shownby references does not mean that progressive taxation does not decrease inequality while the flat tax does nothing to remedy it. Other factors could be causing the inequality. As noted often there are all sorts of loopholes in a progressive system. There can be all sorts of tax incentives for corporations etc.

To use a favored dodge ceteris paribus a progressive tax system should reduce income inequality and a flat tax do nothing to reduce it. I consider support for the flat tax a right wing position. Surely they are the ones that have been trying to replace progressive taxation by flat taxes and also to neutralise the redistributive effects of progressive taxations through loopholes exceptions etc.

Cheers, Ken Hanly

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/kenneth_rogoff/2007/11/to_have_and_to_have_not.html

> [...]
> > sleeping. That is $9,000 per minute, or $540,000
> per
> > hour.
> >
> > How much do America's highest income earners make
> > compared to the world's billion poorest
> individuals?
> > Well, if the top nine donated their earnings, it
> > would
> > be the equivalent of about three months' income
> for
> > the bottom billion. (Gabriel knows, of course,
> that
> > Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have donated tens of
> > billions already.)
> >
> > As for the other nine months, given that the US
> > accounts for only 25% of world income, it is a
> fair
> > guess that there are some very wealthy individuals
> > elsewhere who might be able to kick in. (Mexican
> > telephone magnate Carlos Slim, for example, is a
> > close
> > competitor to Gates for the title of the world's
> > richest man.)
> >
> > Mind you, the idea that the ultra-rich could
> easily
> > solve poverty is stupefyingly naive. Most serious
> > academic research strongly supports the view that
> > rich
> > countries can best help poor regions like Africa
> by
> > opening their markets, and by providing assistance
> > in
> > building physical and institutional
> infrastructures.
> >

> > The greatest successes in fighting global poverty
> > have
> > come from China and India, two countries that have
> > largely pulled themselves up by their own
> > bootstraps.
> > But this seems too complicated to explain to
> Gabriel
> > just yet. So I retreat to the simplistic rock
> > star/UN
> > view of how great it would be if we could give
> more
> > money.
> >
> > Are massive income and wealth differences an
> > inevitable outcome of fast growth? By and large,
> the
> > answer from history is "yes". China, whose growth
> > performance since 1970 has now broken every
> record,
> > is
> > well on its way to having the world's most unequal
> > income distribution. Indeed, China has passed the
> US
> > and is nearing Latin American levels of
> inequality.
> >
> > Policy solutions are not easy. Many super-earners
> > are
> > also super-creative and bring enormous value.
> Places
> > like the UK actively court wealthy foreign
> nationals
> > through extraordinary preferential treatment of
> > their
> > investment income. The ultra-rich are an
> > ultra-mobile
> > group, too. If you are earning $540,000 an hour,

=== message truncated ===

Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html