[lbo-talk] LBO Got All Crazy

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Nov 17 18:20:34 PST 2007

Robert Wrubel wrote:

>--- joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
>"As for Barry Lyndon -- it's a beautiful and faithful
>

>>rendition of a Thackaray novel. If you don't like
>>

>Thackaray, you won't like Lyndon."
>
>I thought I liked Vanity Fair, but I sure hated the
>recent movie made of it -- a costume drama with no
>core.
>
>BobW

I thought Reese W was a good fit for Becky Sharp. The real problem is that you can't really turn these victorian novels into movies. You have to turn them into a series of movies or TV shows....precisely because the social/historical context is 90% of the story. Having said that, I still think B. Lyndon was a faithful rendition. The other really good novel-to-movie was the recent "Sense and Sensibility." Ang Lee director; script by Emma Thompson.

Joanna