[lbo-talk] The "NAFTA Superhighway" Urban Myth

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 17 22:33:50 PST 2007

The size of the Texas and California/New York State markets for schoolbooks, I am given to understand, explains in part the craven vanilla banality of school textbooks, as editor/writers of these doorstops, er, textbooks, try the impossible course of navigating between the extremes of Texican patriotic fundamentalism (no evolution! reverence for God and the US military! dead white men!) and California/New York liberal progressivism (mucho multiculturalism! watered-down feminism! political correctness up the wazoo!), trying to satisfy both markets while offending nobody. Texas may not be highbrow, but there are a lot of schools and a lot of students on that state, and an infamously ferocious and powerful textbook purchasing board that is always alert to any temptation to succumb to left wing decadence.