[lbo-talk] [PEN-L] The Art of Mental Warfare

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 19:26:37 PST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 7:33 PM, Julio Huato <juliohuato at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please, if you feel tempted to prove to me that this is useless or
> irrelevant or impossible, don't. Abstain. Instead, try to answer the
> question: How could we help to harness the current discontent felt
> among broad sections of the U.S. public into a more coherent (and
> therefore effective) movement that expands the power of workers over
> their living and working conditions?

Well, it'd certainly be worth the effort, even if the project ultimately failed.

I think you weave your narrative around the Iraq war because it pretty obviously touches on all the big problems (not in this order): class, race, imperialism, economic insecurity, environmental degradation, religious fundamentalism, terrorism, an unresponsive but allegedly democratic government, increasing authoritarianism and the collapse of civil liberties -- only crime, immigration, consumerism and gender don't fit in all that neatly (there are, of course, those who would argue otherwise). First, have a compelling narrative. Then act on it.

I bet if someone came up with a Wiki that would allow everyone to work together on such a document, with any luck we might all end up pleasantly surprised. Has anyone ever tried something like this?

-WD