[lbo-talk] gloom

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 20 15:05:55 PST 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> ABC NEWS/WASHINGTON POST CONSUMER INDEX – 11/18/07
> EMBARGOED FOR RELEASE AFTER 5 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2007
>
> Pessimism Spikes, Confidence Low
>
> Economic pessimism spiked this week to its worst in 17 years, with 68
> percent of Americans saying the economy is getting worse – up a sharp
> 13 points from last month to its highest since November 1990, shortly
> after the economy fell into a recession.

I never have any specific opinion on what the economy is going to do, so I have no opinion on the current predictions of doom, denial of such predictions, etc.

BUT. If not now, sooner or later there will be some sort of economic catastrophe (beyond the run-of-the-mill recessions which are also certain to keep coming). When that catastrohe happens, for several years it will send people scattering in panic to individualist attempts to survive, and left activity will be at a standstill.

I think a worthwhile discussion would be what we can do now (= as long as there is no catastrophe) to prepare in our thinking and organizing to be in a better position to build the left during those years when because of economic crash we won't be able to build much.

Carrol