[lbo-talk] top 10 on Conservapedia

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Tue Nov 27 18:25:54 PST 2007

in conversations with Testosterone Central, it became evident that institutionalized heterosexism rests on something like this: they come to see in themselves the possibility that their sexual desire can be physically overwhelming, something they've learned to see as beyond their control by nature. but they believe that what makes them heterosexual men, a particular kind of man, is to rein in that sexuality just a notch -- especially in an effort to obtain access to women. Gay men in the hetmale imaginary, iow, have nothing to chasten their physical desire and will, therefore, fuck anything that moves. Hence, the fear that a gay man will come on to them and, possibly, rape them. (this came up when I asked them why on earth they thought a man would rape them if one assumes that only sick people would take sex from someone who didn't want to share it. yes, indeed, that's true. but gay men, they believed, had no self-control. they were animals. etc. etc.)

as for men/women and heterosexism, the research shows that, in the US, self ID'd women are a lot more accepting of homosexuality and tend to identify as bi at higher rates than self ID'd het men. It's not that there isn't homophobia among het women -- believe me! I've experienced that plenty myself so I know. I know. it's just that there are significant differences by gender (in the States) in attitudes toward gay men and lesbians

i use heterosexism here because I think homophobia is unhelpful -- though I'm well aware of the divisions among gay studies and queer theory advocates on the topic.

as a mom, watching my son grow up, it's plainly evident to me how incessant this socialization to heterosexist expression of disgust for gay male sexuality is. one of my readers also had some interesting things to say about the way his self IDd straight male friends would, when they got the chance, try to come on to him -- as the aggressor most often.

"You know how it is, come for the animal porn, stay for the cultural analysis." -- Michael Berube

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)