[lbo-talk] law of value

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Nov 29 08:14:47 PST 2007

Rakesh:

Doug, what you say may be all true but that still leaves the task of understanding the specific ways in which capitalism as a mode of production works at cross purposes. This is a different kind of claim than saying that there is a conflict over the distribution of the net product. That's not an immanent contradiction as say capitalism requiring both the ossification of the personality for the performance of detailed labor and the fluidity of labor given the constant disruption of the division of labor as a result of firms revolutionizing their techno-organizational bases and firms and branches dying and new ones arising.

[WS:] Contradiction is a state of mind, not a state of reality. There is nothing contradictory in reality - only material existence of objects. Some of those objects may be annihilated by other objects under certain circumstances - but that is not "contradiction" between these two kinds of objects, but merely a transformation of material forms in accordance with the laws of nature.

"Contradiction" enters the scene only when the human mind imbues the material reality with the products of it sown imagination i.e. an idea (mental product) that acts as the material cause i.e. force producing material transformation. Only then we can say that there is "contradiction" in what materially exists i.e. inconsistency between certain material forms and the idea that is believed to "cause" them. But this is just a metaphor used to describe the world - it means nothing more than the ideas that we us to describe the world are not logically consistent with one another.

Stated differently, "contradiction: is an indicator of a fault in our thinking about reality rather than a fault in the reality itself. Consequently, if we encounter a "contradiction" we ought to change our thinking rather than expect reality to change as a result of that contradiction. It is quite delusional to believe that the material world revolves around the products of human mind.

Wojtek