[lbo-talk] law of value

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Nov 29 11:43:07 PST 2007

[WS:] Contradiction is a state of mind, not a state of reality. There is nothing contradictory in reality - only material existence of objects. Some of those objects may be annihilated by other objects under certain circumstances - but that is not "contradiction" between these two kinds of objects, but merely a transformation of material forms in accordance with the laws of nature.

^^^^^^^ CB: I wonder. Every_thing_ changes, and change is based on self-contradiction. Nothing stays the same forever. "There is nothing but matter , and it's mode of existence is motion." Motion occurs by contradiction, internal contradiction of _things_,not words. There _is_ a dialectics of nature, of things.

^^^^^

"Contradiction" enters the scene only when the human mind imbues the material reality with the products of it sown imagination i.e. an idea (mental product) that acts as the material cause i.e. force producing material transformation. Only then we can say that there is "contradiction" in what materially exists i.e. inconsistency between certain material forms and the idea that is believed to "cause" them. But this is just a metaphor used to describe the world - it means nothing more than the ideas that we us to describe the world are not logically consistent with one another.

Stated differently, "contradiction: is an indicator of a fault in our thinking about reality rather than a fault in the reality itself. Consequently, if we encounter a "contradiction" we ought to change our thinking rather than expect reality to change as a result of that contradiction. It is quite delusional to believe that the material world revolves around the products of human mind.

Wojtek