[lbo-talk] Eudaimonia (Was Re: Crisis and revolution )

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 11:54:55 PST 2007

Ah well, as I said, it's been a while. I even remember the first passage, now that you call my attention to it. I should have looked it up, but I had to run to work. In that case I should have kept my mouth shut. However, Aristotle acknowledges in the second passage the doubts (some have) that the dead share in any good or evil, while he says in the first passage that "both good and evil are thought to exist for a dead man" -- compounding my negligence by not doing further research, I see a certain tension between these passages. Aristotle also has a way of talking about what is "thought" (widely by the Greeks? by people in general? by philosophers?) without always being entirely clear about whether he agrees or not, even where he registers an argument. So in the first passage he gives an argument that the good and bad can befall the dead because they are objective, just as good and bad can befall the living whether or not they know about it, but in the quoted passage he falls short of saying that he endorses the argument rather than just noting that some (many?) people accept it. And the uncertainty is magnified in the second passage where Aristotle takes not of the doubt, and then seems to suggest that "even if anything good or evil penetrates to [the dead]" it must be weak or negligible," not such as to change whether the dead are happy or not which sounds on one hand less noncommittal than the observation "it is thought," but it's not clear from the passage as quoted whether Aristotle is saying that the (mis)fortunes of our friends have little or no effect on our well-being when we are dead because they are not ours, or because when we are dead, it's doubtful that anything good or evil penetrates far enough to us to reverse the happiness or unhappiness that characterized our lives. These passages are, in short, rife enough with ambiguity to generate many more millennia of interpretive discussion.