[lbo-talk] Eudaimonia (Was Re: Crisis and revolution )

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 12:37:36 PST 2007

I think the "it is said" comes from two things: the Greek tendency toward the passive voice ("legetai") and Aristotle's and the Greeks' in general belief in doxa, opinion, as being an indication of the truth. IIRC Aristotle also shows this a lot in the first book of the Physics where he is considering the views of previous philosophers, where the mere fact that a lot of people people in something is evidence for its being true. I'm going to display my Heideggerian roots here and say that this is because the Greeks viewed truth as being on the "surface" of reality, even in the case of Plato, accessible through pure contemplation of it, and to some extent already known by everyone.

I think this is really evident in the Nicomachean Ethics, in which Aristotle does very little arguing but rather explicates the worldview dominate in the Athens of his time, which he does not question. It is, speaking broadly, a phenomenological work.

Anyway, the point is that Aristotle, and the Ancients in general, did not regard death as being the complete end of the person, because even if they did not believe in an afterlife they did not identify the person with the self, and they did not believe "happiness" ("fortunate," like I said, would be a better translation I think) was a subjective trait, but something objective, correlating with the "worth" of the person.

Being Heideggerian again, I'm not sure they had a notion of a subject at all.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs