[lbo-talk] Bearzilla Stomps Neocons

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 30 12:25:27 PST 2007

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> John Thornton:
>

> I wish I could share even your optimism.
> You think when that time comes you'll be released from the internment
> camp because of a piece of paper?
>

> [WS:] I am not counting on that, of course. I am counting on leaving before
> they start rounding up the "usual suspects" (which is not unreasonable,
> since I am not that important, and they will go after others first) and
> having a place to go to. If Nazi Germany is any indicator, people had an
> opportunity to leave before roundups started. Those who did not either did
> not want to leave or wanted but could not get the papers. The problem was
> not that much on the Nazi side, but on the receiving end, as the case of the
> "St. Louis" suggests http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/article.php?ModuleId=10005267
>
> Wojtek

Yes, but Europe was happy to rid itself of "undesirables". The U.S. is much more punishment oriented. Better we should incarcerate "undesirables" than let them flee. Then they can serve as a deterrent to others by their continued incarceration as well as provide employment for their captors. I can head to Mexico and blend in (I speak Spanish) but alas my SO is a strawberry blond with alabaster skin who speaks only English. Getting her out would be problematic. Fortunately I only foresee this problem arising, if it does, after I am dead or too old to care what happens to me. Too many seem to think such excesses cannot or will not happen again as they have so many times throughout history. I expect most people who believe this would have, 8 or so years ago, stated that the current dialog on torture was something equally relegated to the past.

John Thornton