[lbo-talk] Capitalism and Discourse (was factchecking Joseph Massad)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 07:38:32 PDT 2007

On 9/28/07, BklynMagus <magcomm at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > On the contrary, Massad's book criticizes not only
> Orientalism of the "Gay International" but also
> secular Arab nationalist and Islamist discourses that
> seek to make pre-modern sexual discourses obsolete,
> pursuing the ideology of "progress" and adopting "a
> Victorian sexual ethic."
>
> 1) Reading Massad's invocation of some shadowy Gay
> International reminded me of McCarthy's invocation
> of the massive infiltration of Communists in 1950's
> America. The are many commonalities between the two
> in the way they foment pansy panic for their purposes.
>
> 2) The question is whether pre-modern sexual discourses,
> rather than being made obsolete by some conspiracy of
> the nefarious Gay International, just fall by the wayside
> as people change.

That's a good question, but that question was already raised by Arno Schmitt in a more principled and scholarly manner in Public Culture (i.e., without invidious comparison of Joseph Massad and the Islamic Action Front) than Brian Whitaker:

Massad sees conscious forces at work–"efforts of

[Western capital] to impose a European heterosexual

regime on Arab men" (372) plus all "the machinations

of the GI" (380)–, whereas I see heterosexualisation

rather as the result of salaried work, the welfare state

and "the proliferation and hegemony of Western cultural

products" (371). I believe the French popularized

cigarettes in Morocco to make money not in order to

undermine the health of the natives, and that

Time-Warner is more interested in profits than in

spreading the American way of life. ("Gays Rights

versus Human Right: Reply to Joseph Massad's

"Re-Orienting Desire" (Public Culture 14,2)," <http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~arno/massad.html#t6>).

While Massad leans a little to much into the culturalist direction, Schmidt bends the stick into the opposite direction, the direction of economic determinism, too far.

Capitalism doesn't automatically change the regime of sexuality or anything else for that matter. It conditions cultural struggles -- including those over sex -- through proletarianization, urbanization, commodification, medicalization, etc., but does not directly and unilaterally determine their outcomes. Hence my thought that discourse of sexual orientation as such is neither necessary nor desirable -- what's desirable is sexual freedom, including freedom from the peculiar kind of repression and unfreedom that comes with discourse of sexual orientation which has us relegate same-sex love and lust to a minority identity, all others having to repress them to keep up heterosexism. -- Yoshie