[lbo-talk] Biden: who the hell do Iraqis think they are?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 2 08:38:39 PDT 2007

<http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/10/biden-to-iraqi-.html>

Biden to Iraqi pols: 'I Don't Know Who the Hell They Think They Are"

ABC News' Brian Wheeler Reports: Joe Biden today responded to criticism of a resolution passed by the Senate last week that called for federalism in Iraq. During a conference call with reporters, Biden steadfastly denied that the resolution was aimed at breaking up Iraq, and said, "It is not partition, it is not foreign imposition, and it will not produce bloodshed and suffering in Iraq. It’s hard to imagine how more bloodshed and suffering in Iraq could exist."

Biden’s amendment, introduced with Sen. Sam Brownback R-KS, was passed by the Senate last week by a vote of 75-23. It was immediately criticized by a wide spectrum of Iraqi politicians as an attempt to split up the country, and on Friday Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al- Maliki told the AP: "It is an Iraqi affair dealing with Iraqis. Iraqis are eager for Iraq's unity. ... Dividing Iraq is a problem, and a decision like that would be a catastrophe."

Today Biden was heated about Maliki’s contention that the U.S. Senate should mind its own business: "For Maliki and Iraqi leaders to suggest we don’t have a right to express our opinion, I don’t know who the hell they think they are. We have a right. We’ve expended our blood and treasure in order to back their commitment to their constitution. That’s the deal."

On Saturday the U.S. embassy in Iraq issued a statement denouncing the resolution, saying "attempts to partition or divide Iraq by intimidation, force or other means into three separate states would produce extraordinary suffering and bloodshed. The United States has made clear our strong opposition to such attempts."

Biden said the embassy was doing the bidding of the White House, and of Ambassador Ryan Crocker Biden said, "He has no legitimate basis to say this is partition. He knows better."

Senators Biden and Brownback sent a letter to the White House today asking for a personal meeting with the President to discuss the resolution. In addition the letter asks the administration to "convene a conference for Iraqis to reach a comprehensive political settlement based on federalism. Far from calling for the break up of Iraq, as suggested by the statement from U.S. Embassy Baghdad on September 30, our proposal is the last best chance to prevent Iraq’s partition or fragmentation."

The resolution may be non-binding, but Biden’s putting on the full court press all the same.