[lbo-talk] Reps losing business class

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 2 13:40:12 PDT 2007

That is one of the ideas expressed in Down's work "An Economic Theory of Democracy". Namely that when there are two political parties they will tend to merge towards a perceived median voter. This book was written in the 1950's and it seems to me that time has to a great degree validated this position. Having a third party will change this trend so for people who believe that change may come about through the electoral process it is worthwhile supporting efforts at a third party. Since parties fight for power as much as for ideology they will oppose efforts to build a third party. I guess this too would confound Greenspan.

John Thornton