[lbo-talk] Reps losing business class (sorry for last post)

Carl Remick carlremick at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 10:26:39 PDT 2007

On 10/3/07, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2007, at 11:57 AM, Carl Remick wrote:
>
> > Looking back on the Clinton years all I see is speculation and
> > overinvestmet that created temporary mass wealth and employment that
> > has now dissipated. I see no reason to celebrate a binge that is
> > certain to be followed by a purge. Capitalism has no word for
> > "sustainability."
>
> Yeah, except it's managed to grow enormously over several centuries,
> hasn't it?

Several centuries? Then don't you think it's time for a change? You sound like like someone driving a Tin Lizzie saying the car does a perfectly good job getting you where you want to go.

Viewing humankind's questing spirit, there really has to be -- at *some* point -- a more efficient and equitable way of generating and distributing wealth than capitalism, with its manic-depressive cycles and focus on only two human attributes, fear and greed. I remember from college poli sci that the biggest rap against utopian schemes is that they envision fundamentally stagnant societies -- a vision that doesn't conform to history and human nature. However, I think that eternal paeans to the past achievements of capitalism put us *right now* in just such a state of social stasis; in effect they suggest that the current economic order *is* the summit of human perfectibility The phrase that comes to my mind is Orwell's: "Imagine a boot stamping on a human face -- forever."

Judging from history I would think that capitalism is not the last word in social and economic evolution and that the system will change fundamentally in time. Why shouldn't that process start now?

Carl