[lbo-talk] Capitalism and Discourse

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Oct 3 18:23:40 PDT 2007

BklynMagus wrote:

>> Today, many observers from the West -- roughly the
> same categories of people, to whom human rights NGO
> officers are added -- are again disgusted -- but this
> time by the dearth of out GLBTQ communities
>
> the onlyh thing to be disgusted by is the dearth of
> choices for engaging in sexual expression and joy.
> Should people be free to be sexual in the ways of
> their own determining?
>
> Brian

The point that Yoshie and I have made in various ways is that claiming a sexual orientation is not a personal decision; it is a precipitate of social relations. If you want to be free to be sexual in "ways of your own determining", you need to abandon the stable sexual orientations that have been socially imposed on sexual desires and behavior in our society. (The moment you identify yourself as "straight" or "gay", you're conforming to social standards about sexuality in our society.)

Miles