[lbo-talk] Capitalism and Discourse

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 3 18:36:55 PDT 2007

On Oct 3, 2007, at 9:23 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:

> The point that Yoshie and I have made in various ways is that claiming
> a sexual orientation is not a personal decision; it is a precipitate
> of social relations.

Yeah, I know, and I agree. But it seems that there's a growing number of people in the South who have to some degree imported western models of sexuality, and are organizing accordingly where it's legal. Whitaker discussed that in the review that Yoshie hates to much.

And Brian said: "Should people be free to be sexual in the ways of their own determining?" As Whitaker and others have pointed out, the behavior, not the identity, is typically criminalized, so all this epistemic stuff is kind of irrelevant, unless you're an apologist.

Doug