[lbo-talk] Engelhardt: Dems accept 10+ years in Iraq and counting

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Oct 3 19:13:06 PDT 2007

http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/174844/having_a_carnage_party

posted October 02, 2007 4:33 pm

Tomgram

We Count, They Don't

By Tom Engelhardt

<snip>

Counting to Five, to Ten, to Fifty

Right now, leading Democrats, as well as Republicans, are focused on

counting to both five and ten, which turn out to be the same thing.

In a recent debate among the Democratic candidates for the

presidency, for instance, the top three (by media and polling

agreement), Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and John Edwards refused

to commit to having all American troops out of Iraq by 2013, the end

of a first term in office -- five years from now, and 10 years from

the March 2003 launching of the invasion.

Like much else of recent vintage, this 10-year count may have

started with our surge commander in Iraq, General David Petraeus,

who, for some time, has been telling just about anyone willing to

listen that counter-insurgency operations in Iraq could take "up to

a decade." ("In fact," he told Fox News in June, "typically, I think

historically, counter-insurgency operations have gone at least nine

or 10 years.") Now, it seems, his to-the-horizon-and-beyond Iraqi

timetable has largely been subsumed into an inside-the-Beltway

consensus that no one -- not in this administration or the next, not

a new president or a new Congress -- will end our involvement in

Iraq in the foreseeable future; that, in fact, we must stay in Iraq

and that, the worse it gets, the more that becomes true -- if only

to protect the Iraqis (and our interests in the Middle East) from

even worse.

Conservative New York Times columnist David Brooks put it this way

on the NewsHour with Jim Lehrer: "[The Democrats in Congress are]

not going to cut off funding, and we've seen and we saw in the

debate this week, there are going to be probably U.S. troops in Iraq

there 10 years, regardless who's elected. So they're not going to

win on this." Liberal warhawk George Packer in the New Yorker

recently wrote a long article, "Planning for Defeat," laying out

many of the reasons why Iraq remains a disaster area and discussing

various methods of withdrawal before plunking for a policy summed up

in the suggestion of an anonymous Bush administration official,

"Declare defeat and stay in." Packer concluded: "Whenever this

country decides that the bloody experience in Iraq requires the

departure of American troops, complete disengagement will be neither

desirable nor possible. We might want to be rid of Iraq, but Iraq

won't let it happen."

Retired Brigadier General Kevin Ryan, representing the military

punditocracy, offered the following: "I don't see us getting out of

Iraq for a decade." In fact, increasingly few in official Washington

do. (An exception is presidential candidate Bill Richardson, who

launched a web video this week from a total withdrawal position that

began: "George Bush says the surge is working. Gen. Petraeus says it

will take more time. Republican presidential candidates say stay as

long as it takes. No surprises there. But, you might be surprised to

learn that Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and John Edwards would all

leave tens of thousands of troops in Iraq") Iraq is, of course,

acknowledged to be the number-one issue in the upcoming presidential

campaign; the ever growing unhappiness of Americans with our

presence in that country is considered a fact of political life; and

yet it's becoming ever harder to imagine just what the future Iraq

debate among presidential candidates will actually be about, if

everyone agrees that we have at least five years to go with no end

in sight.

And let's remember that behind the five and ten counts lurks a count

to 50 and beyond; the number of years, that is, that American troops

have been garrisoned in South Korea since the Korean War ended in

stalemate in 1953. Visitors to the White House have long reported

that President Bush was intrigued with the "Korea model." As David

Sanger of the New York Times' wrote recently: "Many times over the

past six months, he has told visitors to the White House that he

needs to get to the Korea model -- a politically sustainable U.S.

deployment to keep the lid on the Middle East." (Keep in mind,

however, that, when the Bush administration rumbled into Baghdad on

their tanks and Bradley Fighting Vehicles in April 2003, it was the

Korea model they had in mind -- though they weren't calling it that

at the time.)

This is the model that Secretary of Defense Robert Gates also seems

to have put his money on -- a drawn-down American force garrisoned

in giant, semi-permanent bases in a "stabilized" Iraq for eons to

come. The Congressional Budget Office has already crunched numbers

on what such a model would likely cost.

Behind all these counting exercises lies the belief that wherever we

land and whatever we do, we are, in the end, the anointed bringers

of something called "stability" and if we have to count to 50, 500,

50,000, or 500,000 and do it in the currency of corpses, sooner or

later it will be so.

<end of excerpt>

Engelhardt goes on to talk about the return of the Vietnam style bodycount and its attendent politics after years of scrupulously not avoiding it:

http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/174844/having_a_carnage_party

And the first part I snipped, about the tripartite resolution in the Senate, is also interesting.

FWIW, FAIR points out the obvious fact that, although the Democrats and the media think this is the "centrist" position, it's actually way to the right of the American public, 5% of which want troops to stay for five more years:

http://www.commondreams.org/news2007/1003-10.htm

But perhaps it is the center if you weight the averages appropriately, with the ruling class on one side of the scale and the public on the other.

Michael