[lbo-talk] What if Dobson splits? And let's not forget the Ron Paul factor, either

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 09:22:18 PDT 2007

Here's a 4-way scenario that involves Ron Paul and basically assure Hillary the win:

Hilary wins, because the GOP is split between its main candidate, Giuliani, and the harder-core base that wanted Gingrich to run, and who may break off and vote for their own flash-in-the-pan 3rd party candidate like Buchanan or something again. And twentysomething trendy fave GOP candidate Ron Paul siphons off even more Repubs (younger ones), and even a few disaffected Dems, buttressing Ms. Clinton.

Ron Paul, to his credit, got into it with O'Reilly recently -- he invoked O'Reilly's ire, which I enjoyed seeing, and anyone that can do that almost immediately gets a *little* respect from me. Paul is a cult fave in hipster havens. But ultimately Paul is a fuckwit: he is pro-life (don't hear many hipsters talking about that one!) and basically raises a middle finger to folks on Medicare and other govt. assistance.Feed'em to the lions of the market! On domestic policy he sucks, in other words.

But on foreign policy Paul often has more balls than a lot of Dems, which is why O'Reilly publicly scolded him on air, which is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYxKOyWHaTw

Yet, still: FUCK RON PAUL.

Come on, say it with me: "FUCK RON PAUL!"

I am tired of seeing placards for him in vegetarian restaurants and independent book stores around here, like he is the new Ralph Nader or something. The guy's ideas about domestic policy are horrible. Cut kids and seniors off public assistance -- toss'em to the markets. AND HE IS ANTI-CHOICE. But he pisses off the GOP because he can be more brazenly anti-war than even many Dems, hlds to his line resolutely with witty comebacks and undercuts many hawks' talking points. And so folks like O'Reilly hate him, too, which gets him cred with the same kids that 7 years ago woulda been pulling for Nader.

In all, it spells good news for Bill Clinton's wife.

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:

"Could. I'm wondering if the Republican leadership is going to take the same attitude as the Dems towards their popular base - fuck 'em! Where else they gonna go?"