[lbo-talk] who likes Hillary

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Thu Oct 4 16:17:45 PDT 2007

On Thu, October 4, 2007 10:09 am, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Hillary would be great for my disillusionment scenario. There will be
> so much joy among liberals when she wins, and then when she governs from
> the center-right (Republican at the Pentagon, maybe, like her husband
> did?) they'll freak out. It may take time, and there could be a lot of
> excuse-making, but when they turn, it could be the best thing for the
> radical left since, like, Seattle.

Yes, that's exactly what I've been thinking - a true neoliberal restoration. All the signs point to a crushing Dem victory in 08, followed by a hasty US retreat from Iraq. Engelhardt needn't worry, we're getting the hell out, the rush for the exits has begun. All this is going to trigger a massive legitimation crisis of all those Imperial colonialist narratives. No wars to fight, no enemies to fantasize about, heck, even North Korea is cutting a peace deal.

Best of all, Americans who sneer and badmouth postcolonial societies for their maximum leaders will have to swallow the fact that the US has been run by Clinton/Bush family dynasties for twenty years (1988-2008), with at least four more years looking likely.

-- DRR