[lbo-talk] who likes Hillary

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 4 19:21:44 PDT 2007

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> People! Please oh please stop expecting black
> Americans to be super human, to be immune from the
> myth of America, to carry inoculation against
> propaganda, to be steely-eyed double agents of the
> Left, waiting for their main chance to change the
> world.
>
> It's so very simple: if you're conventionally liberal,
> the Democratic party is your only choice.

Indeed. And there is _no_ leadership from anyone of any degree of melanin during periods when "conventional liberalism" is equivalent to "left."

But when (temporarily) the world changes; when people (of all colors) are in motion, THEN ...

In 1969 the wisest voice speaking in the stater of Illinois was Fred Hampton. The wisest person speaking in the state of California was David Hillier. But then the crowd (mostly white) at the October 15 Moratorium in San Francisco booed David Hillier when he declared that the black community had a right to defend itself against violence. And in September of that year Jan & I begged a white liberal group to simply pass a resolution condemning repression of the Panthers. They refused to do so. And at the November meeting of the local Moratorium we begged them to pass a resolution condemning repression of the Panthers. They refused to do so. The '60s were not completely over until the final defeat of ERA -- but the dissolution of the 'era' began with this betrayal of the black movement by the white anti-war movement.

And of course only a fool would base his/her political opinions on what people (of any color) said in an opinion poll. Opinion polls point to the dead past; left theory has to point to the future.

Carrol