[lbo-talk] who likes Hillary

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 5 12:22:47 PDT 2007

Dwayne Monroe wrote:
> Doug:
>

> I don't know who expects blacks to be superhuman. My
> guess is that they feel the variations in state
> policy, which to whiter people can sometime seem
> distant, more acutely. Very material interest.

> The expectation of superhuman insight is buried within
> the anguished question: 'why do so many AAs support
> the Democratic party?' There's a subtextual, parallel
> query: 'Surely AAs see through America generally and
> the dems in particular...how can they smell the
> thing's rotteness and yet still offer what seems to be
> overwhelming and enthusiastic support?'
>
> The questions reveal an excess of analysis.
>
> For all practical purposes, there are only two
> political parties in the US. Only one of those two
> parties *appears* to have any AA interests in mind.
> Under these very narrow circumstances, the choice all
> but makes itself.
>
> I'm sorry comrades, but I don't understand why
> something so clear and direct has inspired so much
> list debate.
>

> Also...
>
> Healthy distance from, and intelligent cynicism about
> propaganda conjured new dawns (for example, the
> relentlessly pushed idea that HRC or B. Obama
> represent "positive change") is difficult to maintain
> without a coherent counter story.
>

> Concerns about racism aside, we AAs are as susceptible
> to most types of American enthusiasms as our Asian,
> Euro and Hispanic American cousins.
>

> .d.

Realistically who else are minorities expected to support? We all know the 'not a dimes worth of difference' doesn't hold water with people who are more likely to be harmed by incremental changes in policy. Only from a position of privilege can one make such a statement. Personally I have a bad feeling concerning the 2008 Presidential election. Native Americans, like AA and other minorities overwhelmingly support Dems but from what I'm reading support for Hillary is very low and support for Richardson is very high among NA's. I fear that NA's will not turn out to vote for Hillary and this may give the Repugs. and advantage in states like New Mexico, Arizona, South Dakota, and Minnesota. NA's were pivotal in electing Albert Hale, Janet Napolitano, Tim Johnson, Brad Henry and probably a few others I can't recall. I would bet if Hillary runs she loses but I also fear if elected she will succeed in implementing her crappy health care reforms and we can forever give up the idea of single payer. We lose either way. I feel like giving the Oval Office to someone totally inept like Romney or Thompson might actually be beneficial if not in the short term at least in the medium. I'm well aware of the potential pitfalls of hoping things get worse to later increase the chances of them getting better but I can't help but feel this way about Hillary. I think she'll be worse than Bill was.

John Thornton