[lbo-talk] new spirit of capitalism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 7 06:37:41 PDT 2007

On Oct 7, 2007, at 6:53 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> 2. Elimination of de jure discrimination does away with the material
> basis that united upper and lower classes and strata of each oppressed
> community.

> Therefore, leftists do ourselves no favor, for instance, by forgetting
> the fact that families, for the working class, have been units of
> survival in the face of, and sometimes resistance to, capital as well
> as sites of gender, sexual, and other oppressions. Atomization that
> destroys families destroys them as units of resistance as well as
> sites of oppressions.

Etc.

You're turning into some weird hybrid of Louis Farrakhan, Thomas Byrne Edsall, Christopher Lasch, and Todd Gitlin, all wrapped up in a hijab. What is the point of this? We should try to recover some race- segregated patriarchal nuclear family world because it's more organic? Because it provides a better basis of resistance to capitalism? We should have subordinated the fight against racism and sexism to the class struggle, like the most idiotic of Stalinists used to argue? (Not the CPUSA, which had a pretty good record on sex and especially race.) What, in other words, is the point of this sermon?

Doug