[lbo-talk] Jim discovers video games, seeks guidance

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 12:28:41 PDT 2007

It may sound like I must've been living under a rock for the past 20 years, but, I've just suddenly discovered video games. The last time I'd played them was when I was a little kid, on an original nintendo. Eventually basketball, then punk rock, then politics intervened; I simply forgot about the mario brothers entirely.

Recently, I saw some friends playing an xbox 360. Holy shit! I mean, I'm not likely to become a big gamer, but, even this pointy headed bookworm can admit: that shit looks cool! Then someone showed me Bioshock. Again: holy shit.

Now I know this is super off topic non political, but I recall seeing multiple folks on the list play these games. I am considering getting into it, now that I have that glorious commodity I lacked for so long in laborland: free time. So lbo-gamers, share your wisdom with me.

I have the impression that the xbox 360 is the thing to get. I am more excited about playing this bioshock thang more than any other single game (although a whole bunch of them look pretty neat: this half-life 2 dealie, uh, the halo game where you kill aliens, and oh yeah I remember my old union organizer co-workers used to have all new organizers play a couple rounds of grand theft auto at night in teh hotel, as a sort of personality test.... you get to, uh, shoot at cops in it). Also xbox 360 is alot cheaper than the new playstation, and that wii thingee just wierds me out... should I get an xbox 360? Does anyone here play bioshock? Can you recommend other good games?

Additionally: I use a mac. I gather most people who play these type games on computers, do so with pcs. Are there good mac games out there I should know about? Or is it just like solitaire and tetris like are already on my computer.

Anyway sorry for sounding like I just came out from under a rock, but I kinda did. Dennis, anyone?