[lbo-talk] Jim discovers video games, seeks guidance

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sun Oct 7 14:56:21 PDT 2007

On Sun, October 7, 2007 12:28 pm, Jim Straub wrote:

> Also xbox 360
> is alot cheaper than the new playstation, and that wii thingee just wierds
> me out... should I get an xbox 360? Does anyone here play bioshock? Can
> you recommend other good games?

Ah, Bioshock - wicked good fun. All of the consoles are wonderful game engines, but one thing to warn you about: the 360 has major, and I mean MAJOR reliability issues. Apparently, 15-25% of them die regularly. Microsoft now has a 3-year-warranty, but it's still a hassle to ship your console back to the manufacturer and wait a month for it to return. It's not clear whether they've fixed their hardware. So I'd hold off buying until they've got a reliable model out.

Also, the industry press says the PS3 will be dropping to $399 pretty soon, which makes it a competitive choice compared to the $349 Xbox 360. Remember, the PS3 has BluRay built in, and BluRay movies look astounding on a good screen. (You can buy an HDDVD add-on for the 360, but it costs an extra $150). Some of the great games coming out for the PS3: Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid 4, Half Life 2 and of course the Final Fantasy games. (Insomniac's Resistance is also excellent.) So if you're looking for an all-round media system, the PS3 is a great choice.

And don't discount the Wii entirely. Wonderful system, with wonderful games (Metroid 3 is an absolute blast), and quite affordable.

Last but not least... you need an HDTV to get the most out of the games, preferably at least 30 inches in size. Makes Wii games look great, too. This is a good time to shop for one - prices are coming down fast. One little hint: make sure the HDTV has at least one HDMI input. This is a special digital standard for next-gen media, it's a bit expensive right now but will become the standard for the next ten years.

I don't know anything about Mac gaming, alas, anyone else know about that?

-- DRR