[lbo-talk] blacks shun military

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Oct 8 14:22:20 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 17:04 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2007, at 5:50 PM, John Thornton wrote:
>
> > I don't know why the Navy is so much lower than the other branches.
>
> Isn't the Navy the snootiest of the branches?

It is. But maybe Dr Johnson's observation has something to do with it too:

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."