[lbo-talk] Jim discovers video games, seeks guidance

Blackmail blackmail.is.my.life at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 19:17:20 PDT 2007

I'd agree w/ the Xbox 360 comments, but would discourage anyone from buying the PS3. there's not enough buy-in for it to be fun online; the new games are slow in coming and in the not-so-distant future the format war between HD DVD and Blu-ray will be moot, imo. Also, Microsoft has pretty much liberalized their repair policy on any console that gets red of death, so you're covered by the warranty. They're making changes with their newer consoles, so maybe that'll do the trick.

I'm loving Bioshock, Halo 3, Crackdown and Gears of War. I've been surprisingly indifferent about the Madden game I bought several months ago, which is something I would've never said when I was playing on Genesis, PS1 and then PS2. It's been a strange conversion from sports games to third and first person shooters.

I'm really looking forward to GTA IV, but worry that it won't live up to expectations in light of games like Bioshock, etc.

Cheers,

J T.