[lbo-talk] Rudy: scarily insane

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Oct 9 08:03:59 PDT 2007

On 9 Oct, 2007, at 10:30 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Do You think the votes of the subscribers to lbo could conceivably
> affect the outcome of the election?
>
> I maintain my spectator view of presidential politics. No concern of
> mine since I can no more affect them than I can affect the outcome of
> the World Series.

This contradicts your more sophisticated argument that we cannot plan and predict mass change (you will probably wish to substitute that with "revolution") (the flip argument is in fact the case: the cost to you for pulling the lever is so minimal that it is not even worth the effort to carry out the calculations of the effects). The best things in these matters, IMHO, is to follow the Hindu idea of 'dharma' and do your bit without expectation of instant gratification. Now, if you believe (as you have hinted -- or explicitly stated? -- in the past) that voting for a Dem is in fact a bad thing, that it goes against your sense of duty, then you should not do that of course.

--ravi