[lbo-talk] Iranian sexual regime

Rakesh Bhandari bhandari at berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 11 09:32:46 PDT 2007

Yoshie, this seems to be your field of expertise, but you are really leaving gaping holes in your argument.

1. If concern was really about US destabilization of Iran, wouldn't there be a critical posting here and there on the new doctrine for intervention snuck in there with all the attempts to prettify the Iranian sexual/gender regime and cast aspersions on gay activists? 2. You reject what you think are exaggerated numbers. So then how many people have been killed, tortured, humiliated for what are considered sodomite (and adulterous) acts and what effect has that had on those whose sexuality may well lie outside our Western identities? You say not a word here, and I find that very disturbing. It's also misleading to say that the gay international is trying to impose the western way of being gay, which does not exist after all, when many people are just sickened and depressed by the killing, torture and humiliation of people for acts, not identities. 3. Of the suicides attempted, how many have been defined away; what percentage was attempted by those whom we would perhaps classify as homosexual? 4. Where is the proof that Bush will further destabilize/invade Iran in the name of homosexual liberation? Or even speak of women's liberation again? I don't see him or neo conservatives playing that card. I see no proof that they have funded any element of the gay international. They have their own God to answer to after all, and for them it's all about terrorism and WMD.

Rakesh