[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Ahmadinejad & Bollinger

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu Oct 11 16:49:58 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 18:56 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
> ["...the contankerous exchange between an irresponsible and
> sensationalist president of a beleaguered and increasingly
> illegitimate Islamic Republic and the racist president of an Ivy
> League university in the United States..."

Pathetic. I hate this moral-equivalence stuff -- it's so liberal, so above-it-all.

The fact is, that to any unbiased mind, Bollinger would have been seen to be to be a shrill, vulgar, underbred, bullying, sloganeering fool, and Ahmadinejad -- if only by comparison -- a reasonable, thoughtful, perhaps mistaken human being.

Maybe Yoshie's whole mission on this list can be summed up as: "Bollinger vs Ahmadinejad -- take your pick. No, don't evade. You have to choose. This is actually existing reality, with a genuine social basis, not some contrivance of legislation or institutional bylaws. You really have to take your pick."

I know what mine would be. I'm not crazy about Ahmadinejad, but compared to Bollinger and that ilk, he seems like an angel of light.