[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Ahmadinejad & Bollinger

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 11 18:10:34 PDT 2007

On Oct 11, 2007, at 7:49 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> Pathetic. I hate this moral-equivalence stuff -- it's
> so liberal, so above-it-all.

> Maybe Yoshie's whole mission on this list can
> be summed up as: "Bollinger vs Ahmadinejad -- take
> your pick. No, don't evade. You have to choose.
> This is actually existing reality, with a genuine
> social basis, not some contrivance of legislation
> or institutional bylaws. You really have to take
> your pick."

That's precisely what's so annoying and stupid about it. What kind of radicalism makes you choose between assholes like these, and regimes like these? Dabashi has a good point when he argues that imperialism produces things like the IRI, but that doesn't make them any better. You're just accepting the terms of imperialism and reversing the signs.

Doug