[lbo-talk] income gap at record high

Carl Remick carlremick at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 08:07:15 PDT 2007

> Wall Street Journal - October 12, 2007
>
> Income-Inequality Gap Widens
> Boom in Financial Markets
> Parallels Rise in Share
> For Wealthiest Americans
> By GREG IP
>
> ... Scholars attribute rising inequality to several factors, including
> technological change that favors those with more skills, and
> globalization ...

Let's not forget the key skill of marrying well, as one of the chief champions of globalization, Thomas Friedman, will tell you. Here's a tidbit about Friedman I'd never known before:

"Friedman's wife, Ann [Bucksbaum, is the daughter of] ... Matthew Bucksbaum, ... the chairman of the board of General Growth Properties, the real estate development group that he co-founded with his brother in 1954. The Bucksbaums helped pioneer the development of shopping centers in the United States. As of 2007, Forbes estimated the Bucksbaum family's assets at $4.1 billion, including about 18.6 million square meters of mall space.

"Ann and Thomas Friedman live in Bethesda, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, D.C. The July 2006 issue of Washingtonian magazine reported that they own 'a palatial 11,400-square-foot house, currently valued at $9.3 million, on a 7½-acre parcel just blocks from I-495 and Bethesda Country Club.'"

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Friedman>

Carl