[lbo-talk] Doris Lessing on her Nobel

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 12 08:11:41 PDT 2007

> Has anyone read any of her more recent stuff (from
about 1979 on) which I found quite unreadable and obscure?

My introduction to her was her Canopus in Archives series of novels which I liked.

The later novels seem to me to be good with a clunker now and then, but certainly not as bad as Bloom says. His big complaint in the way she depicts men.

There is also the bias against speculative fiction -- certainly unworthy of being awarded the Nobel Prize -- probably why Stanislaw Lem never won it though he is one the greatest writers of the 20th century. FIASCO is his masterpiece.

Brian