[lbo-talk] "Suck Cock to Beat the Draft" vs. Equal Right to Serve (was An Empire of NGOs)

Lenin's Tomb leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 12 15:22:59 PDT 2007

On 10/12/07, andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Maybe this is because
> I'm a boring old time liberal card-carrying ACLU
> member and First Amendment fundamentalist, fan of the
> Voltairian idea (no doubt the proper attribution of
> this quote will be provided) that I may not approve of
> what you say but I will defend to the death your right
> to say it -- although, actually, I _do_ approve of
> some porn, not all of it.

Oh dear God. That's atrocious. ACLU? Do you have to?

I realise you're aware that Voltaire never said that thing about defending to the death your right to say it, but I would add: so what if he did? It's a stupid idea in the first place. Part of the trouble I have with the liberal's Voltairean dedication to free speech as an absolute right is that the favour is never returned by the Right. Another problem I have with the dictum is that a) I wouldn't die for the right of any racist to utter odious obsequies about the master race and b) anyone who would do so heartily deserves their fate.