[lbo-talk] "Suck Cock to Beat the Draft" vs. Equal Right to Serve (was An Empire of NGOs)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 17:51:16 PDT 2007

--- Lenin's Tomb <leninstombblog at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 10/12/07, andie nachgeborenen
> <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Maybe this is because
> > I'm a boring old time liberal card-carrying ACLU
> > member and First Amendment fundamentalist, fan of
> the
> > Voltairian idea (no doubt the proper attribution
> of
> > this quote will be provided) that I may not
> approve of
> > what you say but I will defend to the death your
> right
> > to say it -- although, actually, I _do_ approve of
> > some porn, not all of it.
>

> Oh dear God. That's atrocious. ACLU? Do you have
> to?

I am a proud cooperating attorney with the ACLU. I would have gone to work for them if I could have afforded to, instead of working for Satan.

Doug says I'm not a real liberal, but I am.

> I realise you're aware that Voltaire never said that
> thing about defending
> to the death your right to say it,

Yeah,I expected an attribution correction, who said it?

but I would add:
> so what if he did? It's
> a stupid idea in the first place.

Why?

Part of the
> trouble I have with the
> liberal's Voltairean dedication to free speech as an
> absolute right is that
> the favour is never returned by the Right.

So?

Another
> problem I have with the
> dictum is that a) I wouldn't die for the right of
> any racist to utter odious
> obsequies about the master race and b) anyone who
> would do so heartily
> deserves their fate.

My First Amendment teacher was David Goldberger, who made his bones defending the Nazis right to march in Skokie. (It turned out that only only the lead lawyer but the lead Nazi was Jewish, so so figure.) Anyway, yeah, I'd be happy to take the case.

This is beside the point. There's icky porn and their hot stuff that's really cool. And there's stuff that you don't know what to say about it, Story of O. But even the icky stuff I wouldn't read/watch on a bet isn't violence against women. That doesn't make any sense.