[lbo-talk] Can Politics Be Liberated from the von Neumann Style?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 13 06:52:22 PDT 2007

On Oct 13, 2007, at 12:11 AM, Julio Huato wrote:

> So, I am not impressed by Prof. Dabashi's piece. A roughly equal
> number of blows delivered to Bollinger and Ahmadinejad won't cut it
> for me. It's brave in that it risks his job by criticizing his boss.
> It's coward in that he attacks Ahmedinajad at a time when the country
> that man leads is being threatened by the biggest economic and
> military power in human history.

I think Dabashi knows that. He's also Iranian, and has a stake in and knowledge of how the Iranian government treats Iranians that your average poster to this list doesn't. It's interesting that left Iranians like him - and Abrahamian and Moghadam - don't think there's a problem with being both anti-imperialist and critical of the Iranian regime the same way that some left North Americans do.

Doug