[lbo-talk] Can Politics Be Liberated from the von Neumann Style?

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Sat Oct 13 07:27:19 PDT 2007

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 00:11:02 -0400, Julio Huato wrote:
> For all the immediate practical purposes
> relevant to the Western left, these forces are large gravitational
> attractors that warp the political space-time continuum in which we
> operate.
>
> That's why, regardless of our desires, we don't really have a large
> number of nuanced options from which to choose. In effect, the
> hardened realities of the conflict funnel our options, force them into
> a binary choice.

I think YOUR binary choice is whether to use the "warping of large gravitational attractors" or the "funneling of hardened realities" to bludgeon us with: a dyanmic or a static image, which is it? It also interesting that your "not really large number" of options reduces itself to two in the space of a sentence. Pretty strong funnel there!

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't the evening network news offer up more than two choices on Iran? Maybe none are palatable to the Left, but it certainly must flavor any discussion of binary choice, I'd think.

Best, Charles