[lbo-talk] Hillary steps away from Israel Lobby

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 13 13:04:17 PDT 2007

On Oct 13, 2007, at 3:49 PM, Robert Wrubel wrote:

> I think Michael's right on this. I was just going to
> say that she, in her wisdom and with the advice of the
> arch-strategists of the Democratic center-right,
> decided it was necessary to give a bone to the
> anti-permanent-war/anti-catastrophe wing of the
> Democratic party, whatever the Israeli lobby said.
> But I think Michael's take is better. She got a pass.

Oh I think you're both right. It's interesting, though, that she had to throw the primary voters this bone. She's a loyal Zionist, no doubt. I was very persuaded by that New Republic article that argued that her prowar stance on Iraq wasn't calculation - she's a big fan of military action. She did try to join the Marines in college, after all.

Doug