[lbo-talk] Sensitive Guys (was: "Suck Cock to Beat the Draft"<...>)

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sat Oct 13 18:32:52 PDT 2007

On 13 Oct, 2007, at 11:52 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:
> ravi wrote:
>>
>> I went aggressive in that case, because, you can't kid around too
>> much with right-wingers, even if you attended their wedding and
>> danced with their bride! Maybe, maybe not!
>
> It's easy to get along with right-wingers in personal relations; you
> just ignore politics since there is no point to trying to change a
> given
> rightist's mind; after all there are 10s of millions of unconscious
> leftists out there to be awakened, so why in the hell should we
> focus on
> those we _can't_ change!

I don't know if I am focusing on them, Carrol, but I am not ready to abandon them yet. When I slammed my motorcycle into the Cadillac driving Democrat mayor who turned left in front of me, my right-wing buddy was one of the first to come collect me and the various parts on the road. Call me a sentimental fool, but these things count for something...

> P.S. Incidentally, passive-aggressive doesn't mean you vary between
> passivity and aggression; it means you are aggressive _by means of_
> your
> passivity; you are _always_ passive and therefore always aggressive. I
> don't myself have the foggiest idea whether the label suits you or
> not.
> That prick Socrates is the archetypal case of passive-aggression.

Yes I sort of got the bipolar thing about passive aggressive, but as I indicated I don't find this sort of analysis of the individual very productive (unless of course it is provided as feedback .e.g: "dude, that's fucked up", or whatever). So yeah, passive-aggressive and all that sort of description is fine with me.

But "prick" ... now that's a clear term, and that you are alone in contrast to the bloviating classes ("footnotes to Plato" gang) in applying it to Socrates... that's what makes you the coolest chap on LBO! ;-) You're alright, Carrol!

--ravi