[lbo-talk] Black Monday

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 14 06:24:30 PDT 2007

On Oct 13, 2007, at 8:54 PM, joanna wrote:

> Mulling over whether another 1987 crash could happen, Andrew Bary
> writes
> in this week's Barron's
>
> What could precipitate a 1987-style setback?

Of course the 1987 crash had few real-world consequences. The leveraging mania continued for a couple of more years. It marked the beginning of a recession in Wall Street jobs and a flattening of the NYC real estate market, but beyond that, not much. It did teach me a big lesson about avoiding catastrophism.

Doug