[lbo-talk] Leaders and Dissidents (was Can Politics Be Liberated from the von Neumann Style?)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 11:59:44 PDT 2007

On 10/15/07, Marvin Gandall <marvgandall at videotron.ca> wrote:
> Whether leftists defend the Iranian leadership along with Yoshie,
> Julio, and LT, or defend Iran while indicting the leadership, as Dabashi,
> Doug, and others do, will have virtually NIL effect on US policy towards
> Iran, or how Americans react to that policy.

It ought to be our mission to elevate the level of political understanding of Iran, first of all on the part of us leftists, and then on the part of the general public. Our self-education is as important as education of the public, for, if we don't know what we are talking about, we'll be merely spreading disinformation to others.

Now, the question of Iran's leaders and dissidents.

As in any country, there are leaders, and there are leaders, and there are dissidents, and there are dissidents, in Iran. Some leaders and dissidents advance national, class, and social interests of Iran's working people; others set them back, some to the point of destroying their nation. It is the former we should support, and it is the latter we ought to criticize.

However, most leftists in the West tend to be guided by a mythical contest between the BAD Leadership and the GOOD Dissidents when it comes to picturing politics in Iran in particular and the global South in general. That is a misleading guide. It's time for us to cast away both dissident mystique and leadership phobia.

Hamid Dabashi, to his credit, sometimes helps us question the aforementioned mythical contest, which is why liberals such as Janet Afary and Kevin B. Anderson disparage this aspect of Dabashi's work.

But by far the most atrocious aspect of Bollinger's

statement is that because of the slanted relation of

power it flaunts it ipso facto shifts the center of gravity

of contemporary Iranian political predicament away

from Iran and Iranians themselves and places it in

the self-righteous domain of a white man and his

civilizing mission. It is precisely the same colonial

attitude that is perpetrated in the statement written

by Akbar Ganji and circulated for signatures among

exclusively non-Iranian signatories. Not a single Iranian

was allowed, even if he or she insisted, to sign that

statement. Akbar Ganji's deeply colonized mind,

denying Iranians themselves the right and responsibility

to have a say in their national destiny, tallies perfectly

well with Bollinger's deeply racist mind to presume

that he is telling Iranians something they do not know.

Perhaps the most unfortunate aspect of Lee Bollinger's

statement is the appearance of the name of Akbar

Ganji in it, for in that single reference Lee Bollinger and

Akbar Ganji appear as the two-sides of the same colonial

coin that denies nations agency and assigns to white men

the authority and audacity to civilize the world. Is it even

conceivable for Gandhi to launch his movement to liberate

India and systematically deny Indians a say in the affairs

of their homeland, or for Mandela to write a statement on

behalf of civil liberties in South Africa and disallow South

Africans to sign it? This is precisely what Akbar Ganji has

done, and that is precisely the reason why he is so easily

incorporated into Bollinger's racist assumption that he

has to bear the heavy burden of liberating Iran and

civilizing the world. To avoid that trap, it is long overdue

that people like Akbar Ganji look at movements led by

Gandhi and Mandela as example of their struggle, rather

than come to the United States, go on a Shi'i pilgrimage

of collecting white talismans of names he considers worthy

of defending the cause of liberty in his homeland. (Hamid

Dabashi, "Of Banality and Burden," Al-Ahram Weekly 866,

11-17 October 2007 <http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/print/2007/866/focus.htm>)

Dissidents who become "native informants" for the empire, like Ganji for instance, cannot and should not be supported. -- Yoshie